RoxyIN

RoxyIN

Monday, March 24, 2014

R’n’R 13.1 – Joyfully Pursuing Something Challenging

I wasn’t sure what it was. My whole me - heart, brain, soul, mind - was looking for something. Without even realizing I started with new things, from professional development to tune up some skills, journaling, nutrition, learning about recipes and twisting 180 degrees and percent my approach to life and running & training. I needed to separate myself from the pain and "hard effort" association to any activity.

Rock and Roll Dallas Half Marathon was my BIG G, “To be able to run it again and HAPPY!”
  • HAPPY because: I am able to run this year vs being off road last couple years
  • HAPPY even though: it will take me longer than the  1 hour 27min 46secs at a 6:46 pace 3 years ago

Event started car-pooling with friend Hector, who I offered myself as his co-pilot to enjoy some runners’ chat before race. As he has a trip to Buenos Aires, my home city, on mind he got me!!! I arrived little bit earlier than planned. I must confess I had a nightmare with traffic and catching the shuttle. I was a nightmare mixing a race in Buenos Aires, missing the “colectivo” (bus) that got me little bit nervous. 

Luckily we are in USA where logistics almost always work perfect. I felt very relieved once we parked and got the shuttle at the Fair Park. Runners were all around getting on their corrals. We got to warm up at the starting line with elites around, something very inspiring!
Another cool thing at the start happened when I was dropping my warm up clothes on the side of the corral and a lady around asked me if she could take them. It made me happy that someone was going to get and use those clothes!

I started with corral 2 set to finish in 1:45. Too fast? Too slow? No idea. I do not like to make race maths. I was just going to run respecting what my running angel had for me. My only promise to running angel was to smile at least every mile and in front of cameras. Started running and went front of corral and passing some runners. Mile 1 one, mile 2 and 3 and 4… I knew my BOYZ “W-Cheeling Team” were going to be cheering for me somewhere around there. I found them just before mile 5. It was amazing! They had built a banner I couldn’t read however my kids’ faces yelling GO MOM! Made it so special!

Mental splits? Math always makes things funnier, especially with running. So decided to set it at 5 miles + 2x(2+2) + 0.1 J. It worked perfect! W-Cheering team after the 10k, then again around 15k and again close to 11 mile. Wow! There totally exceeded my expectations. They were everywhere! I also got other running friends cheering go ROXANA, and one singing “Roxanne…”.

Mile 11, just couple more to go! Time to kick it hard? Hard for what? To set PR? Not this time. Just hard to finish happy! And I did so! Stellar end for my BIG G, meeting the race pilot Hector, the local most famous runner RunnerBwoy – Mojo – Mark, plus Angela, plus Julie and husband.

It was amazing! I really appreciate all, from being able to train, race, being with friends and specially having my BOYZ living the experience. As Deena Kastor mentioned at the EXPO: “Every Mile Teaches US a Lesson” and biggest lesson from running is to “Joyfully Pursuing Something Challenging.


That’s all about!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment