RoxyIN

RoxyIN

Monday, March 23, 2015

Rock'n'Roll Dallas 2015 - When the Sun Doesn't Shine Look to for Other Shines

Rock’n’Roll Dallas, another classic. I ran (without bib) the inaugural race on 2010, to test what a half was. Enough to sign and race it officially on 2011. A blast and a P.R. with 1:27:32. I missed 2012 and 2013, but came back on 2014. We used to drop cars at the fair park, take the shuttle, race, finish at the fair park. Then look for your lost car parked somewhere close around.

2015. Big news! Rock’n’Roll Dallas released a new race course. A change, how fun! I downloaded race course, printed it drove it to get a feeling. Going east on Ross and coming back on Young with the Reunion arena, then the bridges to finish with that Turtle Creek, Cedar Springs to the American Airlines center looked interesting.


Night before the race. While planning where I was going to park, by accident I clicked the running course. It looked different than what I had printed. “Maybe I got the wrong link,” I thought. No, link was correct. Oh, well, the same 13.1 miles, no matter what.

Starting line. All fun. Many runners. All dressed in colorful hi-tech clothes and running shoes. Most runners talking, enjoying the event as a party, and few runners stretching, jogging around, doing fun drills. Another neighbor, Stacy Plummer smiling around. In corral 1, I met my friend Servando Palomenque whom I had started my very first Rock’n’Roll run few years ago. Servando is a dedicated runner and previous Toastmaster colleague.

Gun shot. Many runners going forward. I know my pace these days, is not what it used to be, so my strategy was “apply the play button, relax and let it come.” I spotted some other running girls front of me and I found Poksu Binger. We use to train together a couple years ago. She is one of the smoothest runners I've ever met. By keeping close to her. I was going to ensure myself and smooth pace. We passed and paced each other several times for almost 8  miles.

At the Margaret Hunt bridge and going down the spiral, a different experience. Then Riverfront followed by Oak Lawn Ave., for the last 5k. Clock displaying a 1:19 some at the 15k mark. Still one 5k + 1 more to go. “Do I have energy to cover the 6km in 11 minutes, maybe 21?” I wondered. No. Legs were feeling numb. The 1:30 Half Marathon was not going to happen. “Not worth the torture,” I thought and time to stop for a drink, legs shake and reset the button to try to enjoy the last part. And I did!

Turning on Turtle Creek a red shirt bear giving five to runners. “I will take them all,” and when bear gave me 5, I grabbed his hand and pulled it with me. He started laughing and told me “It’s me, John Studebaker!” then pulled his bear head and gave me an smile.

  

Still couple miles more to cover. I spotted Mark Olateju. Even he looked a little bit tired, he was shining the roads on a bright yellow tee and when I passed he gave me a magic “Go Roxy, go get it!” that turned me on to push and cross the finish line.

Another P.R. backwards with 1:44:36. Running wasn’t any easy. Getting a P.R. backwards didn’t help and messages from coach kept me downhill. I was trying to fake an smile when I got home and my kids ran over me asking “How did the race go, mom?” But I couldn't.



It was just after the shower when I found the card my kids made. “Good job :-) If you think that you did bad, did you beat people? Did you finish? If you say yes, you did to US! Thanks for being my mom.”


Even I am still sad and worried about this race and last races' P.R. backwards one after the other, this time my sons and running friends around provided with a little shine to keep strong and go get to turn the P.R. backwards invasion around!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment